92 Days Later- Where did John go? (Excuses, Summaries and a Fresh Start)
Well, It’s been over three months since I’ve posted one thing on my weblog. That is a lengthy stretch. The Brewing Coffee Manually weblog has fallen into a lull that’s fairly frequent within the running a blog sphere. Some blogs emerge from the lull rejuvenated and spur onwards with content material creation. Some blogs by no means recuperate from their lull, put up a few extra instances and gently succumb to burnout and a weblog that has run its course.
I’m hoping the Brewing Coffee Manually weblog goes to fall into the rejuvenated class. Blogging has been an enriching expertise up to now, though it should be apparent by now, I’m discovering it tougher and tougher to make time to jot down.
I’ve some thrilling concepts for posts however earlier than I try and return to a
common posting schedule, I assumed it will be good to provide a synopsis of the final three months of my espresso experiences.
Excuses and Explanations
It’s been a busy three months and I haven’t had a lot time to create significant espresso content material. This doesn’t imply I haven’t tried. I’ve a number of posts which are almost accomplished (they’re simply ready for ending touches and a image).
The reality is, I’m having a laborious time balancing all of it. I’ve stepped again from running a blog to give attention to some extra essential issues. I’ve additionally shifted a few of my free time give attention to to common train (a new bike journey approaches) in addition to taking some lessons to pursue different inventive pursuits.
This yr I’ve been attempting to give attention to simplifying and decluttering all areas of my life. I’m not positive precisely how espresso running a blog matches into this.
Coffee (like most hobbies) has a focus and temptation to build up issues. There is at all times a higher grinder, new brewing technique and so on. I prefer to discover new brewing strategies and devices however my espresso cupboard is overflowing and I must remove some issues. I shall be eager about decreasing my quantity of substances and how that impacts me as a espresso geek and espresso blogger (perhaps I’ll borrow a play or two from Essentialism).
Ok sufficient excuses, right here is a rundown of the Brewing Coffee Manually noteworthy espresso happenings.
New Gear Report
Just a few sentences in the past, I used to be speaking about eager to simplify and pare down my assortment of espresso merchandise. Well…I’m joyful to report utter failure on all fronts, I’ve made some important additions to my espresso gear this yr (doh).
There had been a number of new merchandise I used to be concerned about exploring, so I picked them up. As you’ll be able to learn under, I’m nonetheless within the early experimenting and exploring part with most of them.
Here is what I’ve acquired within the final a number of months:
- The Handground Precision Coffee Grinder– I made a decision to select up a Handground Coffee Grinder on a whim earlier than Christmas. While I’ve been fairly pleased with the Hario Slim Mill for my touring espresso wants, I couldn’t overcome my curiosity and all of the pre-release buzz Handground was creating. It is a modern and straightforward to make use of handmill that has been on the street with me a number of instances already.
- The Kruve Sifter– After a lengthy wait, my Kruve sifter arrived early February. The Kruve sifter is a easy technique to sieve your floor espresso. It takes out the fines and the boulders from the espresso to provide a extra uniform particle measurement for an alleged higher cup of espresso. To be trustworthy, I’ve solely tinkered with this man a handful of instances (I managed to make fairly a mess and expend fairly a lot of time twiddling with it). The verdict continues to be out on this system (for me) and I’m excited to commit a while to sitting down and really exploring the capabilities earlier than I make a determination.
- ROK Presso Manual Espresso Maker– The ROK Presso is a fairly cool guide espresso maker. As I’ve been dabbling with it, it has opened up a entire new can of espresso worms whereas concurrently exposing how little I learn about espresso.
- The American Press– This is a brewer that I get enthusiastic about. The people that make the American Press had been type sufficient to ship me a pattern to mess around with. I’ve solely had the brewer for a few days however I’ve made some nice cups of espresso.
- Keep Cup- Since my spouse gifted me a Keep Cup in December, I’ve used it virtually on a regular basis. There are some professionals and cons to it’s design and I stay up for sharing extra in a put up quickly.
- Third Wave Water- This is one other product I’m tremendous amped about. I haven’t performed a lot of facet by facet comparability testing however I used to be impressed sufficient with this product to purchase a case from their Kickstarter marketing campaign. You can anticipate to listen to extra about Third Wave Water. Heck, I would even have to provide some away (a case is a lot).
- Acaia Pearl Scale– This modern little magnificence was a need, not a want. The Acaia Pearl is a Bluetooth scale that interacts with a few totally different apps. It has been enjoyable to tinker with it, nonetheless, I’ve not been utilizing it to it’s full potential.
Where’s the Content, What’s the Plan and What to Expect
Honestly, I can now not promise a common posting schedule. I do have a listing of things I want to write about and will choose away at it once I can.
As you’ll be able to see, I’ve added some actually attention-grabbing objects to my guide brewing arsenal and I need to speak about them. For probably the most half, I’ve shied away from doing product critiques however I feel it’s time to combine some in. I’m additionally going to incorporate some extra basic discussions in regards to the new gear in my upcoming posts.
I’ve been toying with the concept for performing some roasted espresso critiques. I brew and style a lot of espresso and most of those coffees are actually good. When I discover ones I like, I really feel like I ought to share them. If I can get some parameters and tips arrange, I might like to do an occasional espresso overview.
I needed to take a fast second to thank the individuals over at ThoroughlyReviewed.com.
A pair weeks in the past, I used to be honored to be chosen on one in every of their high espresso blogs. This was one thing that was sudden and I really feel I’m in some excellent firm on their listing.
If you might have a little time, go take a look at a few of the different nice blogs on their listing. There is a wealth of information and espresso views on the market.
Coffee Shop Travels
I’ve spent a while touring this yr too. While this has led to a lot of follow brewing on the street (grateful for the Handground right here). I’ve additionally been visiting some great espresso outlets. Here is a fast shout out to a couple outlets I’ve visited up to now this yr.
- Perq (Sarasota, Florida)– I’ve visited (and even written) about this espresso store earlier than. It is a multi-roaster with a killer lime inexperienced Slayer espresso machine. The espresso is at all times pleasant and the youngsters love the donuts (okay, I additionally love the donuts). I at all times plan to cease in right here if I’m within the space.
- Crema (Nashville, Tennessee)– A month or so in the past, I obtained a bag of Crema’s Guatamala Guayabales in my MistoBox subscription. It was wonderful. Around the identical time, I realized that I might be headed to Nashville for a couple days. Needless to say, I made a little time in my schedule to swing by, test it out, and procure extra wonderful coffees.
- Steadfast (Nashville, Tennessee)– Located within the Germantown neighborhood of Nashville, Steadfast was one other store I needed to pop into. I loved discussing the finer factors of Nashville Hot Chicken with the workers in addition to getting a killer drip espresso and bacon cheddar scone to go.
- 392 Cafe (Clinton, Iowa)– This might be the closest legit Third Wave espresso store to the west of me. I’ve been following these guys on Instagram and needed to cease by and present my assist. Their muffin recreation was on level and the espresso (from Brandywine Coffee Roasters) was scrumptious.
- Mars Cafe (Des Moine, Iowa)- I actually did not spend a lot of time right here in any respect however they serve Kickapoo Coffee with different visitor roasters every so often. If you might be ever in search of espresso in Des Moines, test it out.
- Kindred Coffee (West Chicago, Illinois)-This is one I’ve not had the pleasure of visiting but however I needed to provide a shout out. Congrats to Ryan and the Kindred Coffee staff as they’ve bought a constructing and are working laborious to get their espresso store up and working. They have espresso store pop ups on the weekend and are hoping to open their doorways full time quickly. I can’t wait to cease by and test it out.
Request for Feedback
Lastly, do you might have one thing you prefer to me to jot down about? I might love to jot down about issues that you simply guys are concerned about and don’t thoughts doing analysis or experiments to search out out the solutions (in case you are affected person). Send me a message or go away a remark under with posting, product or espresso overview concepts. I additionally welcome constructive suggestions.
Thanks to everybody who has contributed to the success of the weblog during the last yr. I’ve seen a large uptick in guests (even in my absence) and I feel it’s partly due to my common readers. Thanks for sharing my work. Cheers!